Sunday, March 22, 2009

Experiential Expectations

Sundays are becoming a fun day for me...mostly because it is ending up being the only day that I have off. It was a nice one, Newman and I slept in until 11:30. It's so nice having a dog who may love sleeping more than me. I woke him up at almost noon and he continued to yawn for another hour. He's just my speed though. :-)

Johnette and I went for pedicures and manicures and were gratuitously upsold on the "extra foot massage" for five bucks. Johnette even fell for the extra neck and shoulder massage for another ten. I love getting pedicures but I always feel somewhat guilty about paying a Vietnamese woman to scrub my feet and paint my toes. It's also extremely awkward when they put your feet in their boobs when you're getting the leg massage. I know we're all girls here, but I still don't know if I want to get to second base on my pedicurist with my feet.

Despite the boob-foot debacle, we left there relaxed and our toes and fingers looking lovely on a Sunday afternoon. We hit up a local Thai restaurant for some tasty Tom Ka soup with tofu and I headed out to run some errands. Got home and took Newman for a run (it was chiiiilay tonight) and invited my neighbor Meagan over to drink some wine and watch a movie.

We watched The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and it was a pretty amazing movie. I'd heard about it from the previous year's academy awards, but never made and effort to see it. An artist friend of mine took me to see Before Night Falls years ago and told me negative stories about the film's director, Julian Schnabel so I was kind of down on his abilities...however the film did not disappoint and I'm excited to see what Mr. Schnabel produces in the future. Mr. Schnabel is a painter, and it comes across in his films, every frame worthy of a still photo.

I hope to make films like that one day.

In other news, my friend Jose has gotten funding for one of his films and is shooting this June! Very exciting news! Now two of my best guy friends will have produced two feature films within 6 years of us graduating. Pretty exciting stuff and I couldn't be happier for both of them!

That's all for now. I'm tired. I leave you with this funny video about the ridiculousness of Twittering. I agree with Sara on this one, I'll go as far as Facebook, but when it comes to Twittering, that's where I draw the line...

1 comment:

  1. With Mr. Schnabel, one must always begin at "Basquiat."
    One of my all time fave-os.
    Love yaz,
    WW

    ReplyDelete